Thursday 12 August 2010

The Final Thing!

So this is it, the very last Thing. For a while I didn't think I'd make it, but here I am! It's been fun, and I now feel much more knowledgable about all things web 2.0. I'll be able to impress all my less web 2.0-aware friends with recommendations and advice for the many tools I have explored!

What Things have I found most useful?
I have really taken to using Google Calendar, just because it makes me feel extra-organised, and I have synced it to my new phone, which means it's always going to be easy to refer to, so I'm a convert on that one. And I can see its potential for internal library staff organisation.
Doodle I was already using, and think it's fantastic for organising get-togethers with several people (it makes arranging an event so much easier), I'll continue recommening it to others. And again I think it can be useful for scheduling meetings between staff, especially when its between staff from different libraries.
I'd never actually looked at Flickr before, but now whenever I need a picture, I'll know where to look. I think the creative commons is a brilliant resource: I really like that the copyright restrictions are written so clearly, so I can feel confident about what I can and can't do with the images. And so many of the photos are of an unbelieveable quality, I could spend hours and hours just browsing and admiring the gorgeous images. Definitely going to be useful for my next library poster, and I do see the potential for some libraries to create albums and add a photostream to their library website.
Delicious I will definitely use: it'll probably be a pretty big job initially duplicating all the Favourites saved in my browser, but I sure it'll be worth it (did I read somewhere that this can somehow be done automatically?) Anyway, the flexibility in access and safety of my bookmarks from any pc disasters are massive positives! Again, incorporating the tag and link roll features of Delicious on to a library website might be useful for making relevant resources easily available to users.
Zotero and Google Docs are also tools with great potential. With the start of my MA fast-approaching, these Things could well become firm favourites for providing aid with referencing and collaborative work. Very happy to have learnt about them now!

LibraryThing: well, my account's all set up, and I do like the idea of it. But I probably won't exert a lot of effort into it right now (I don't have a lot of time for reading at the moment, and feel this would have more benefit when I'm in a position to take up some of those recommended books). I really like the idea of having a LibraryThing widget on a library webpage. Incorporating LibraryThing tags and recommendations into the library OPAC I'm not so sure about.
My iGoogle page: well, I don't really have a reason to use it particularly (I find I'd rather go straight to the sites I need rather than through the start page), but I do like the page I created so I do visit it from time to time to admire it, and I do have some interesting RSS feeds on it so I don't plan to completely desert it.
I have to say I'm still not convinced by Twitter, but I'll stick with it because it is a way to hear about library-related happenings and news. I apologise to my followers that still no Tweets have materialised, I will try harder. I do recognise its potential as a means of communication for libraries, to inform users of new resources and library news, but I don't think it's particularly suited to a College library, firstly because there wouldn't be enough to tweet about regularly, and secondly I don't think Twitter is widely used by students.
Slideshare and wikis are useful things to have learnt about, and will consider them when a need arises (i.e. creating a powerpoint and working collaboratively).
LinkedIn I will consider in the future.

RSS, Facebook and YouTube I was already familiar with and love. Podcasting is something I will explore further (in particular whether I can listen to them via my phone or mp3 player because I think they could make my train journeys much more productive). I'm finding RSS extremely helpful for keeping informed about developments and news in the library world, and I love the YouTube library videos, I will keep looking out for new ones (not something I would recommend doing in my library though). A library Facebook page has the greatest potential I feel for communicating with my library's users, for promoting services and notifying them of library news. This is the tool I would suggest if my library is to try out marketing through social media.

I suppose the Thing I have found most thought-provoking has been Tagging: its pros and cons are both fairly weighty. As librarians we value the controlled-vocabulary that facilitates retrieval and ensures a standard organisation of material. However, the web is all about the democratisation of information, and it makes sense to tag content that is personal to you with terms that have personal value and meaning. I like the freedom and the flexibility this provides. I'm still not sure about tagging's place in a library OPAC!

As for blogging, I've definitely gained in confidence, and actually begun to enjoy it. It's nice to write down my thoughts, but while at first I was extremely paranoid about who might be reading (being completely open to the world was a rather terrifying prospect initially), I guess I've realised that not many people are actually going to look at it, which in a way makes it far less daunting and pressured. So yes, I'd say I've come to quite enjoy it, and maybe I will be inspired to write the occasional post now and again when this programme has finished. I very much doubt it will continue to be a regular thing without having a given topic to discuss. If I'm ever asked to write a professional library blog in the future, I'll be much less phased by the prospect because of this experience.

I can see that all the Things we have been exploring have their merits, but some are definitely more useful to libraries than others. It's been really insightful to examine libraries' experience with the different tools, ways that they have been used effectively, and the positive benefits they've had. I think a lot depends on the size and type of library-the bigger the library and the bigger the number of users, the more useful these tools could be for reaching out to them and communicating. In a smaller library, I think maybe one tool would be sufficient for 'marketing', if after evaluation that proved to be effective. The time input required, and the potential outreach needs to be considered for evaluating the overall usefulness and value of the tool. A lot could be achieved with these tools, and the amazing thing is that they are free, and require little technical knowledge to use.

The greatest impact web 2.0 and social media seem to be having on libraries is that they make them far more accessible and open. They help to present an image of a library as modern, friendly and approachable. It opens up channels for communication, interaction and participation with and by users, making library services much more accessible, and in a way extends services beyond the library's walls. I'm sure they are helping to overcome stereotypical ideas about libraries, because by participating in a social space new connections are possible in an enviroment that has the potential to be fun and engaging. They are providing an opportunity to go outside the library to promote services and resources, and have a part in online communities which surely has the effect of raising the profile of a library and alerting users to the full range of services that are provided.

The main thing I have learnt from this programme is that we shouldn't be scared to explore new technology, and consider its potential for professional purposes. A lot of issues do need to be considered: security and privacy in particular. But by taking the time to investigate what other libraries are doing with web 2.0, and the positive things that can be achieved, we can gain ideas and inspiration for ourselves. I have discovered a whole world of web 2.0 through this programme (before I started I'd hardly scratched the surface of all the things that are out there), and there are some pretty amazing tools available. Libraries should consider seriously the benefits and exciting opportunities these offer.

A BIG thank you to the Cam23 Team for organising and putting together the programme, for all the direction and instructions that you provided, and for the enthusiasm and motivation that was expressed in the posts! It's been great to explore the different tools with others, to talk and share ideas, and to provide support for one another. It's been a great experience and very enjoyable!

4 comments:

  1. Am just starting 23 Things and found this blog really interesting and reassuring. I've started a blog post referring to this post, which I hope to get up in the next few days. I can completely identify with the paranoia about blogging publicly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nia,

    Thank you for your lovely comment - I'm really pleased you've found my blog useful and reassuring. I think blogging does feel quite unnatural at first, especially knowing that it's open to the world, but once you start it doesn't feel such a big deal and hopefully you'll start to enjoy it. Good luck with the programme!

    ReplyDelete