Wednesday 11 August 2010

Podcasting and YouTube

I found the information on podcasting very interesting, particularly because it has given me a clearer understanding of the various channels through which they can be listened to. I have listened to a couple of JISC podcasts on my computer before, and will definitely have a listen to some of their Libraries of the Future podcasts, and perhaps also CILIP communities podcasts. I would be interested to disover whether my mp3 player (a little dated now) will play podcasts-something for me to investigate!

I can see that podcasting has potential as a way to reach out and inform students. I particularly enjoyed reading the podcasting activities and future plans at the University of Georgia. I agree that the most beneficial use of podcasts would be for distance education students who are unlikely to be able to utilise the library for guidance and support in information literacy. I also agree that it could not be used as a substitute for face-to-face contact with students, but might be a useful supplement because it is something students could refer to when they actually need help, as a kind of on demand service. I also like the flexibility of podcasting: it can be listened to when, where and how a student wants (I particularly like the way they can be used to add value to 'dead time' such as during a commute). It would be essential that the podcasts be kept short and focused on a single topic so as not to deter students from listening, and that they be entertaining at the same time as being instructional.

As for the content, the examples I found being used by libraries include help on using library facilities, help on using library resources, using the self-issue machines, and discussions of notable items within the library's collection. This type of tutorial-style content sounds great, but I wonder how much they are actually used? They seem very geared towards first-time users of a library: would a student utilise this form of learning over face-to-face contact? Equally I'm not convinced about their use for induction tours. Though they may work well for larger libraries, within my library they could not be used as a replacement because we place great emphasis on inductions and do not allow students access to the library until we have given them a tour. I think we would always prefer to do this in person.

I love the library YouTube videos, and in particular the fact that so many are choosing humour in order to convey their message-this is definitely the right way to go. Some are very ambitious, and I personally think to do a great job, but I don't know what sort of reception they are getting among students/users. Hopefully a positive one! I don't think I'd suggest making a video for my library any time soon, but maybe if I got a lightening bolt of inspiration and creative energy I'd be motivated to make one and get it out there.

Overall, I do like the idea of using the audio-visual medium to reach out to library users. It's a bit different, and works well as an entertaining, interesting way of communicating information. I do like the potential, but right now, for a College library I don't see much scope for using it. But once again, I'll keep an open mind!

No comments:

Post a Comment