Monday 9 August 2010

LinkedIn

LinkedIn is new to me, and I will definitely consider joining in the near future. Its features seem rather similar to Facebook: a profile on which you can write comments, an inbox for private messages, contacts, and Groups. However, I like the fact that it focuses on your professional identity, and acts as a kind of digital CV, with the option to include your work experience, and school and academic history and achievements. Though it does appear to be rather geared to businesses, I can see that it might be useful for librarians to connect with each other and make professional contacts which could be used for sharing knowledge and advice. It thus seems to be a great place to be for professional networking. I also like the idea of receiving updates from Amazon about new publications in your field of interest.



A new network that I have recently joined is the LIS New Professionals Network, which I have to say is fantastic, and is a source of a huge range of information geared specifically to new and aspiring librarians like myself, and it's a great place to do some professional networking! There's a jobs and placements section, an events page to find out about interesting conferences, forums to discuss topical issues, ask questions, and share advice, ideas and experiences, and an excellent resources section with reviews of LIS Masters courses, Chartership portfolio examples and a series of How To guides. It's a great example of just how good social networking can be!

The LISNPN homepage

No comments:

Post a Comment